Trickey Pond

Trickey Pond Environmental Protection Association

A 501 (c) (3) Charitable Organization and Recipient of the Maine DEP Invasive Cost Share Grant

History of Our Pond

Trickey Pond

From 1652 until 1820, Maine was a frontier territory of Massachusetts.  In 1774, Northern Cumberland County was divided into four towns that were granted to the heirs of those that had participated in military service for the State of Massachusetts.  Flintstown, which was later renamed Baldwin, was granted to Captain Flints Company of Concord, Massachusetts.  It included Baldwin, Sebago, and Naples up to the eastern shore of Trickey Pond.  In 1826, Trickey Pond became part of Sebago when that town was split off from Baldwin.  Finally, in 1834, Trickey Pond became part of Naples when it was formed from parts of Bridgton, Harrison, Otisfield, Raymond, and Sebago.

Benjamin Mitchell, one of the early lumbermen in Naples, built a granite slab dam on the outlet of Trickey Pond on the northern end of the lake.  This raised the water level enough so that it would flow through a ditch that Mitchell dug on the southern end of the lake. This fed the water into a new millpond from which it dropped 80 feet onto a water wheel and then into Muddy River.  The house built by the Mitchell family is still standing just east of the Muddy River Bridge on Route 114. The sawmill was operated by the Crockett family for many years until it was sold in 1913 to Dr. Eugene Lehman who taught at Yale and Columbia before he founded Monmouth College.  Dr. Lehman had started a summer camp for girls in Connecticut which he moved to the Crockett property. The mill was turned into an electric power plant for Highland Nature Camp for Girls, the predecessor of Camp Mataponi.

It was the construction of the dam and the Mitchell ditch that shaped Trickey Pond in the configuration that we see today.  If you dropped the water level by a few feet, some of the shallow coves would disappear.

The question of how Trickey Pond got its name has a couple explanations.  One is that because the pond is spring fed, the ice above the springs would not freeze as quickly as the other areas so it was trickey(sic) in the winter on the ice.  The other is that the pond was named after an early logger or trapper named Trickey.  We do know that the Trickey family was among the early settlers of Windham.